Monday, January 16, 2006

a dream


On this day to honor Martin Luther King, Jr., Susan Rose reminds us of two important aspects of MLK's character: his prayer and his action. He is known for his action, but his action was rooted in prayer.

It's easy to bewail the problems of the world, to sit back and wonder what's gone wrong, but his example reminds us of the two important aspects of change. First of all, he says:

"To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing."

Prayer must be the start of all our actions and the end. Our Lord is our guide and our strength. Once we have that, though, we cannot sit back and wait for things to change on their own.

I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate... who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly adivses the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.
From MLK's Letter from Birmingham City Jail, April 16, 1963

These words struck me with how true they are. How often we sit back and fail to act when we see some way we could help!

One of my favorite singers, Kendall Payne, wrote a beautiful song mentioning Martin Luther King, Jr.:

A modern day Martin in a world
Of civil words exchanged
But dreaming bigger thinks maybe
He can make the change
He's heard the stories
He wants some of his own
And he's not alone

Let my people go

The time is now the moment's here
Walk in faith or stand in fear
Change the course of history
Did you ever think?
No one ever thought
Who would have believed?

A modern day me, what have I become
What can I be?
If there is greatness out there to be achieved
I want to be more than someone who
Just passes through this life
I want to stand up for what is right

So this is my New Year's resolution. I will find some way to help. I doubt it will be very big, but I will take a step. With God's help, may that step make some difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He came from modest circumstance but He coul see much far advanced and God gave Him a special chance to build a world-enhanced.1st verse of "Children Of The Dream".